Posted on December 9, 2018
Welcome to Mr. Competello’s 8th Grade Math class page!
- Finding the Slope of a Line From a Graph
- Classifying the Slope of a Line
- Determining the x and y intercepts by looking at the graph of a line
- Finding the x and y intercepts without graphing given an equation in slope/intercept form
- Changing an equation in standard form to slope/intercept form
- Solving systems of equations by graphing
The above 6 objectives can be studied from the Foundations in Math book -pages 181 to 186, and pages 193 & 194
The second part of the test will include solving systems of equations algebraically.
Substitution as way of solving systems of equations
- Complete Foundations In Algebra book- page 196, # 1 to 16. These problems should be completed and were handed in for a test grade. These problems will be used for testing.
- Progress In Math book- pages 120 & 121 – read and be sure you understand the process required to solve systems of equations using substitution.
- Complete the handout that will be given in solving systems of equations by substitution.
Also included in this test will be writing equations for lines and also graphing linear equations.
The test will be on Thursday and Friday – December 13 and 14
NEW LESSON – WEEK OF DECEMBER 17, 2018
SOLVING SYSTEMS OF EQUATIONS USING THE ELIMINATION METHOD
Practice Coach Plus – p. 132 to 139
Common Core Coach Handout – p 66 & 67
Foundations in Math – p.196, # 17 to 34
Progress In Math p. 124 to 127
Write several paragraphs describing the 3 ways to solve systems of linear equations.
Posted on November 17, 2018
Using the handout given in class explain what is meant by the relationship between the slope of a line and a proportional relationship. Review at home the YouTube presentations from Khan Academy on Introduction to Slope and How to Find the Slope of a Line.
In Class – SOURCEBOOK pages 162 & 163…Do page 163 # 1 to 12.
Ongoing Assignment – Foundations In Algebra Workbook – pages 181 & 182 #1 to 30. Be sure to use the slope formula and also explain the problem solving questions # 29 & 30.
In Class -SOURCEBOOK – pages 164 & 165 – Complete “Try These” on p. 165 # 1 to 8
Foundations in Algebra Workbook p. 183 & 184..complete # 1 to 20
In class – SOURCEBOOK p. 166 & 167 – writing equations in slope-intercept form y=mx +b
Foundations in Algebra Workbook – p. 185 & 186 # 1 to 23. Be sure to use graph paper when directed. Be sure to graph the equations in slope-intercept form.
Progress in Math Workbook – p. 96 to 111. Read for review . Be sure to complete the guided instruction and work through the guided practice and independent practices. Various problems will be highlighted for importance.
Practice Coach Plus – p. 84 & 85 . Do “Discuss” section and “Apply” section on p.85. Complete p. 86 to 91.
Lesson 12 on p. 92 – Do “Discuss” section and “Apply” section on p. 93 and complete p.94 to 99.
GO MATH (Reference book to be used in class) – p. 83 to 87. Complete in your notebook.
Common Core Coach 8 – Read p. 40 to 43. Complete p. 44 & 45. Read p 46 & 47, then do p. 49 to 51.
The above assignments from GO MATH and Common Core Coach 8 will be done and reviewed in class.
The work from Progress in Math Workbook, Foundations in Algebra Workbook, and Practice Coach Plus will be completed in class and/or assigned for homework as we progress.
Posted on October 21, 2018
Simplifying and evaluating algebraic expressions–
Be sure to review the teaching display on page 73 in Foundations following the initial presentation.
Ongoing assignment: Be sure to complete all ongoing assignments as the topics are presented in class. Assignments will be checked periodically and applied to your grade.
Posted on September 30, 2018
- Complete pp 73 & 74 — # 7 through 31. You have the option of the challenge question on p. 74 for additional credit.
- One-step addition and subtraction equations – Remember the subtraction property of equality and the addition property of equality. Be sure to note the various problems on pp 77 & 78 which incorporate fractions, decimals and integers. Do problems #5 -35 on pp 77 & 78 in
- One-step multiplication and division equations – Be sure you understand from the initial presentation, the division and multiplication properties of equality as explained on p. 79 in Remember multiplication and division are inverse operations as well as addition and subtraction. Complete pp 79 & 80 noting the use of fractions, decimals and integers.
- Two-step equations – pp 81 & 82 in Foundations – Use #4 on p. 82 as a model problem.
- THE SOURCE BOOK – pp. 76 & 77 – Be sure to understand all modeled problems after initial presentation is made. Complete # 1-5 from THE SOURCE BOOK p77, and in Foundations pp. 83 & 84.
- Multi-step equations with grouping symbols – THE SOURCE BOOK – pp 78 & 79 – Be sure to understand and be able to explain all the modeled problems. Complete p. 79 – # 1-9 and in Foundations Book -pp 85 & 86.
- Multi-step equations with variables on both sides – THE SOURCE BOOK – pp 80 & 81 – Be able to explain these examples after the initial presentation. Do p 81, #1-4 and in Foundations book pp 87 & 88.
- Coach Book – page 68 through 83 must be completed as a conclusion to this topic.
- TEST PREP QUESTIONS WILL BE PROVIDED FROM ADDITIONAL SOURCES TO BE USED AS A REVIEW AND REINFORCEMENT PRIOR TO THE SUMMATIVE TEST.
October 1, 2018 – New Topic SCIENTIFIC NOTATION
Remember the following are “ongoing assignments”:
(Refer to the meaning of “ongoing assignments” in the previous posts.)
After completing these assignments and study guides, you should be prepared to be tested on the next topic – Scientific Notation”. Formative assessments will be given intermittently. Summative assessment will be given after topic is complete.
- During class – initial presentation from Sourcebook pages 36 & 37
- Do “Try These” – p.36-37
- Ongoing assignment –
- 1.Writing numbers in scientific notation, writing numbers in standard form from scientific notation- Complete p.39 & 40, # 1-39 in Foundations Book
- 2. Ordering in scientific notation – p.39 (Review), p.40 #40-55 in Foundations book
- 3. Problem solving basics in scientific notation – p.40 # 56-57 solve and check to verify your answer
- STUDY p 80 & 81 in Progress Book- Describe how to multiply numbers in scientific notation; complete p. 41 in Foundations Book;
- Progress Book: Guided Instruction p.82 & 83-describe how to divide in scientific notation
- Do page 42 in Foundations
SOLVING WORD PROBLEMS USING SCIENTIFIC NOTATION
- The following word problems should be completed and answered as directed: Foundations Book page 40- #56 & 57; Page 42 – # 37 through 40; Progress Book page 86 – # 7,8,11;
- Coach Book – all of lesson 7 from pages 52 through 67 – you should be able to solve and explain
For the summative test, you should be able to
Read all posts in 8th Grade Math ›
- write numbers in scientific notation from standard form
- write number in standard form from scientific notation
- order and compare numbers in scientific notation
- multiply and divide numbers in scientific notation
- add and subtract numbers in scientific notation
- solve word problems using scientific notation in computation and answers