Simplifying and evaluating algebraic expressions–
Be sure to review the teaching display on page 73 in Foundations following the initial presentation.
Ongoing assignment: Be sure to complete all ongoing assignments as the topics are presented in class. Assignments will be checked periodically and applied to your grade.
- Complete pp 73 & 74 — # 7 through 31. You have the option of the challenge question on p. 74 for additional credit.
- One-step addition and subtraction equations – Remember the subtraction property of equality and the addition property of equality. Be sure to note the various problems on pp 77 & 78 which incorporate fractions, decimals and integers. Do problems #5 -35 on pp 77 & 78 in
- One-step multiplication and division equations – Be sure you understand from the initial presentation, the division and multiplication properties of equality as explained on p. 79 in Remember multiplication and division are inverse operations as well as addition and subtraction. Complete pp 79 & 80 noting the use of fractions, decimals and integers.
- Two-step equations – pp 81 & 82 in Foundations – Use #4 on p. 82 as a model problem.
- THE SOURCE BOOK – pp. 76 & 77 – Be sure to understand all modeled problems after initial presentation is made. Complete # 1-5 from THE SOURCE BOOK p77, and in Foundations pp. 83 & 84.
- Multi-step equations with grouping symbols – THE SOURCE BOOK – pp 78 & 79 – Be sure to understand and be able to explain all the modeled problems. Complete p. 79 – # 1-9 and in Foundations Book -pp 85 & 86.
- Multi-step equations with variables on both sides – THE SOURCE BOOK – pp 80 & 81 – Be able to explain these examples after the initial presentation. Do p 81, #1-4 and in Foundations book pp 87 & 88.
- Coach Book – page 68 through 83 must be completed as a conclusion to this topic.
- TEST PREP QUESTIONS WILL BE PROVIDED FROM ADDITIONAL SOURCES TO BE USED AS A REVIEW AND REINFORCEMENT PRIOR TO THE SUMMATIVE TEST.